The 2020 Southern California Winter Music Festival will consist of two categories:
This festival has two categories:
I ) A non-competitive Winter Festival of “Bach-to-Bartok” repertoire. Students can play up to two pieces (up to 7 mins). Adjudication is given with comments only . The music must be memorized.
II. A competitive Sonata/Sonatina medal division. Awards will be given to 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and Honorable Mention winners. The music must be memorized.
Saturday February 29, 2020
10:00 pm – 4:00 pm
Wednesday, February 12, 2020
Redeemer-by-the-Sea Lutheran Church
660 Black Rail Rd.
Carlsbad, CA 92011
$25 per student participating in the non-competitive Winter Festival.
$35 per student participating in the Sonata/Sonatina competition.
SONATA/SONATINA COMPETITION RULES AND GUIDELINES
Rules and Guidelines: This competition is open to piano teachers who are CAPMT members. Teachers who are not CAPMT members can enter students, but must pay a $10 surcharge.
- Students must dress in appropriate recital attire and stay for the entire recital in which they perform
- Students will perform one movement from a Sonata or Sonatina from any time period and any difficulty. No repeats
- The music must be memorized
- Students will compete based upon their age as December 2019. The age divisions (for the competitive Sonata/Sonatina competition) with time limits are as follows:
Division I (age 9 and under): 3 minutes
Division II (age 10-12): 5 minutes
Division III (age 13-15): 7 minutes
Division IV (age 16-18): 10 minutes
The judges will stop the performance when the student reaches the time limit. This will in no way penalize the student.
- Compositions must be in their original form. No transcriptions, key changes, or arrangements. No unpublished works.
- Students must bring copies of the original music to the festival for the adjudicators to view. No photocopied music is allowed.
- A First, and Second, and Third place and Honorable Mention will be awarded for each Division.
- Judges’ decisions are final.
Entry fees will be paid by check. See the application form below.
Students must be entered (and have a fee paid) for EACH Division (solo/ensemble), however, there is a discounted fee when the student will participate as both a soloist and an ensemble member.
For example, if a student performs a piano solo and then a vocal solo and also performs in an ensemble, they would be entered twice on the SOLO entry form and once on an ENSEMBLE entry form.
- Entries as Soloist: $25 per student (non-medal division); $35 per student (Sonata/Sonatina medal division)
- Entry as a Soloist and an Ensemble member: $30 (Paid as $25 soloist fee and $5 ensemble fee). Students who are accompanied by a teacher/parent will be considered soloists and have to pay $25 (non-medal) or $35 (medal). Students who perform in both the non-competitive festival and Sonata/Sonatina competition: $40
- Entry as an Ensemble member only: $15 per student
Please note that teachers that are not MTNA-CAPMT members are welcome to participate, but will have a $10 per entry surcharge.
Fees are doubled for late entries (see above for dates).